Sunday, June 26, 2011

Yes Santa Clause There is A Virginia!

My family is from Virginia. That means more than the place from which we hail or the place of our origin. Virginia is in the Litton DNA. I always complained as a child that my parents lapsed when they stepped across the state line and gave birth to me in Tennessee making me the only member of our family not born in Virginia. I love to visit my native state of Virginia as often as possible.
My son Josh reminded me this week as he drove his belongings to New York City and passed through Virginia that when we crossed the state line I always said these words. "Yes Santa Clause, there is a Virginia" or "This is the greatest state in the Union."

Recently Kayla and I went on a College Road Trip. We went to the great state of Virginia and I want to share three pictures from our journey. One is a shot of the Shenandoah Valley from the Blue Ridge Parkway. The next is a Dog Wood Tree blossom. Finally a water fall near my boyhood farm in East Tennessee.

The legend of the Dog Wood is that when Christ died on the cross, that the cross was made of Dog Wood. The bloom of that tree is shaped in a white cross and there is a splash of red where His head, his feet and his hands bled for our sins. The legend of the Dog Wood is a legend but the reality of His death is more real now that it was two thousand years ago.
Look for His mystery and beauty wherever you travel. His glory is everywhere.
Praise the name of Jesus!

Ed Litton

No comments:

Post a Comment